Visit Hogspot's new sister site NeaTO - an image archive intended to document the quirky and the mundane in Toronto.

Monday 24 February 2014

Metropasses and More with Air Miles



No one should be surprised to learn that I’m a big fan of loyalty programs. I have a whole separate wallet for the cards that collect points. One of my favourites is Air Miles. While I went for years getting very little value for my points, since the Air Miles Cash program started it’s been a whole different story.


I still collect Air Miles the same way I always have which is mostly, I admit, at the liquor store, but now when I accumulate 95 points, I suddenly have the option to take $10 off my bill at other participating sponsors (unfortunately, not at the LCBO). Thanks to the fact that I also have a no-fee Air Miles American Express card, which I only use at Air Miles sponsors, the points add up faster than you might think. Especially if you pay attention to special promotions.

While I think the new Air Miles Cash program is awesome, you’re not limited to instant gratification. Dream Miles, those that you spend on things like flights, still exist and if you take the time to browse you might be surprised at what you can get. As well as the usual suspects, like car rentals, hotel certificates, televisions and other merchandise, there are some surprising items. Did you know 1045 Air Miles will get you a TTC Metropass? Or that you can donate to programs like Trees Ontario or World Wildlife Fund using your Air Miles? They also offer special night out programs which can be tickets to theatre or special events, sometimes paired with dinner or other unique perks. The site is definitely worth a browse.

By default, all Air Miles earned are earned as Dream Miles. Once you have them, they can’t be converted to Air Miles Cash points, you have to use them for Dream Rewards. To earn Cash points, you have to log in to your account and set your collecting preference – what percentage of points earned go toward each program. You can set it for whatever you like, and change it whenever it you like.

 As an example of how quickly points can add up, my trip to the LCBO today to buy 3 bottles of wine cost me $38.80 and earned me 19 Air Miles:

LCBO Standard Offer: 1+ (1 for every $30 spent, cumulative monthly spend)
LCBO Product Bonus Offer: 16 (8 each on 2 bottles with promo offer)
AMEX Offer: 2 (1 for every $15 at Air Miles sponsors)

No comments:

Post a Comment